Schools with PhD Programs in Maine
There are numerous accredited schools that have online doctoral degrees available, but there are not currently any schools offering PhD programs in Maine.
PhD Nurse Checklist
When applying to any of these programs, make sure that your application materials are delivered on time and that all components are complete. Few students are accepted into these cohorts as there is limited space. This makes competition among applicants rife and several prerequisites are required if you are to be considered for a place. It is absolutely essential that you have obtained your Master’s degree in advanced nursing, but you are able to complete graduate coursework through the bridge programs on offer. This will make you eligible for the doctorate if specific criteria are met. Here is a list of what is needed when applying to a PhD program in Maine:
- Licensure to practice as a registered Advanced Specialty Nurse in Maine is essential. It must be valid and unencumbered.
- The minimum overall Grade Point Average score permitted is 3.0 on a scale of 4.0. Many schools would actually prefer this to be no less than 3.5.
- You must have already completed your BSN and MSN degrees through programs with full accreditation.
- Your Curriculum Vita must be updated to include all academic, voluntary and professional achievements and experiences before being submitted.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary universities and colleges attended will be required.
- Three letters of reference will be necessary. Employers, professional peers and academic supervisors are preferred sources.
- Write a short but detailed essay explaining your desire to complete doctoral studies. Detail your career objectives and explain how they will be achieved through the program.
- You must have completed courses at the graduate level in nursing theory, research and statistics no later than five years ago.
- The school will request examples of your creative written work or scholarly papers.
- A personal interview will need to be attended at the school. Make sure that you are available with time to spare.
- Proof of all clinical hours worked as a graduate student and as an Advanced Practice Nurse must be submitted.
- A full medical check is not negotiable and the school will perform a complete background check. Specified diseases must be vaccinated against.