Schools with PhD Programs in Georgia
- A PhD program is available through the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing at Emory University. The focus is on developing nurses for careers in scientific research that will enhance knowledge and improve healthcare. Part-time options are not available and classes are primarily attended on campus. It will take less than two years to complete this program in its entirety. Please contact the school to ask about their latest deadline dates for applications.
- The College of Nursing at Georgia Regents University has a PhD program for students wishing to study the science of nursing and research. Study plans are flexible to accommodate working professionals and classroom attendance is compulsory. Students typically complete the program in four years of continuous full-time study. It can be finished in three years, but seven years is the maximum time allowed. Make sure that all applications are submitted before February 1st of each year.
- A PhD program is offered by the Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing and Health Professions at Georgia State University. This is an academic program that is accredited by CCNE. It is based on researching the science of nursing and ways to improve delivery of healthcare. Courses are available in a web-assisted format and students also attend onsite classes. The program is typically completed in three or four years, depending on the number of courses students take each semester. February 1st is the final deadline for all applications to be completed and received by the school.
- The Georgia Baptist College of Nursing at Mercer University has a PhD program available to those desiring the highest education. Graduates become leaders in research, administration, entrepreneurial and clinical settings. They can focus on ethics, education or clinical scholarship. While onsite attendance is occasionally necessary, the majority of coursework is delivered online. Although part-time options are available, full-time study is recommended and the program is designed for completion in two years. Ensure completed applications are received by the school no later than February 15th.
PhD Nurse Checklist
To be eligible for acceptance into these programs, you will need to comply with the requirements of the school to which you are applying. They all have several prerequisites that are not negotiable and you need to adhere to their deadline dates. It is imperative that you have already obtained your Master’s degree. If not, then you may apply to the available bridge programs and guarantee a place in the doctorate if you meet their high grade specifications. With space being very limited, competition is rife and small cohorts are chosen. These are the requirements needed when sending applications to PhD programs in Georgia:
- All previous schools or universities attended must provide proof that you have completed your BSN and MSN degrees by providing you with official transcripts.
- Possession of unrestricted licensure to practice as a registered nurse in Georgia is not negotiable.
- A minimum grade of C must have been achieved on graduate courses in nursing theory, research and statistics. If they were completed over five years ago, they will need to be retaken.
- Scholarly papers or creative written work will be required by the school.
- An interview will be requested with the school. This is formal and should be attended with plenty of time to spare.
- The overall grade point average on all graduate coursework must be a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. It may be required that this be higher, depending on the school.
- It is imperative that your Master’s was studied at an accredited school.
- Ensure that all academic and professional experiences are listed in your resume. It will help if you include all accomplishments in these areas, as well as any voluntary work you may have undertaken.
- Submit proof of the number of clinical hours undergone as a graduate student. The school where the degree was acquired will provide the necessary evidence.
- Your personal goals and career aspirations must be clearly explained in a written essay. Describe the need for doctoral study to accomplish these objectives and highlight how it will be advantageous to the industry.
- Copies of all certifications related to your Advanced Practice career must be included in your application.
- A background check is a necessary and you will need to provide the results of your latest health check. All required vaccinations must be effective throughout the program.