Schools with PhD Programs in Arkansas
A PhD program is available at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. Accredited by CCNE, it develops students for teaching and serving as leaders in the health care industry. Options are offered both full-time and part-time; and courses are delivered in a traditional classroom environment and online. It will take three years for full-time students to complete the program and four years for those studying part-time. The final deadline date for applications to be finalized and submitted in full is March 1st of every year.
PhD Nurse Checklist
Gaining entry into these programs involves a rigorous application process. Applicants are reviewed according to their academic and clinical achievements. Of particular interest is the record of high grade maintenance throughout your BSN and MSN coursework. While there are bridge programs available for those who have not yet completed their studies at the graduate level, it does not guarantee admission into the doctoral program unless these scores have been achieved. Cohorts are small and only a few competitive students are chosen each year. You will need to have the following prerequisites ready when applying to a PhD program in Arkansas:
- Current licensure to practice as a registered nurse in Arkansas must be valid and unrestricted.
- You must hold a completed Master’s degree from an institution with respected accreditation.
- Your overall Grade Point Average must be 3.65 on all master’s level coursework undertaken. Some schools will still consider those with no less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Each university or college attended must submit official transcripts to the school.
- Submit a personal goal statement in writing that explains your academic goals, reasons for interest in research and details of your career objectives.
- Scholarly papers will need to be submitted to the school. Written creative work is also acceptable.
- Write a short essay at the allocated time during your interview.
- Make yourself available for an interview with faculty staff from the school.
- Your Graduate Record Examination scores may be required.
- Provide your updated Curriculum Vitae, which must describe all experiences and achievements in your educational and career histories.
- You must be immunized against certain diseases.
- The school will require three letters of recommendation. Ensure they are from previous faculty advisors, physicians or supervisors in the nursing industry.