Featured DNP Programs (RN Required)
- The College of Health and Human Services at George Mason University offers a DNP program that is accredited by CCNE. Nurses become highly qualified Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Administrators or Clinical Nurse Specialists. They learn to evaluate and apply scientific evidence into advanced practice, healthcare outcomes, health delivery and they become leaders of clinical environments. While this is predominantly an online program, class attendance is frequently required. Part-time students can expect to complete the program in three years, while full-time study will enable the degree requirements to be met in two years. Submit applications before February 1st for consideration for the Fall start term. Applications for the Spring start term close on November 1st.
- The DNP program at Marymount University is offered by their Malek School of Health Professions. Accredited by CCNE, nurses are positioned to meet the complex demands of the healthcare system. Students are taught how to apply credible scientific findings within leadership roles involving clinical practice. This is a traditional campus-based program. Students complete a total of thirty two semester credits in about two years. While March 15th is the preferred deadline, the school will review applications on a space available basis until May 1st each year.
- The School of Nursing at Old Dominion University offers a DNP program that enhances diagnostic skills, focuses on under-served and diverse populations and incorporates the emergence of new systems technologies. This is a distance-friendly curriculum that students study online and they choose between part-time and full-time study plans. A year and a half of study will be required for full-time students, but part-time learners should expect to gain their degree in two and a half years. September 15th is the application deadline date for enrollment into the Spring start term.
- The Waldron College of Health and Human Services has a DNP program on offer at Radford University. Available completely online, students are prepared for advanced clinical careers in health policy, education, home care, administration, frail care, hospitals, clinics and other population-based and community environments. There are full-time and part-time options available that will determine the length of the program. Most students complete the requirements in two to three years, but there is a maximum time limit of eight years. Kindly contact the school to acquire the latest application deadline information.
- The Eleanor Wade Custer School of Nursing at Shenandoah University has a CCNE accredited DNP program available. Nurses are given the expertise to confidently assume primary health care provider roles in diversity of clinical environments. While online technology is used for delivery of many courses, students still attend campus classes. This is a part-time curriculum designed for nurses working full-time. Post-master’s students complete the program in twenty months or just less than two years. Post-baccalaureates will take three years to acquire their degree. The final application deadline for priority consideration is May 1st of every year.
- The DNP program offered by the School of Nursing at the University of Virginia boasts full CCNE accreditation. Nurses receive expert skills for a variety of clinical specialties and are able to assume leadership positions that involve knowledge assimilation of scientific evidences into practice. Classroom attendance is combined with distance learning modalities and students are able to choose a study plan best suited to their needs. The program length is determined by part-time or full-time study, previous qualifications and the practicum hours required. Most students typically obtain their degree in two or three years. Cohorts begin each year in the Fall semester and applications are reviewed until November 1st.
DNP Nurse Checklist
There are rigorous application procedures in place for these programs. Cohorts are small due to a lack of available space and competition is rife. When applying to the terminal degree, it is of paramount importance that deadline dates are respected and procedures followed. While the MSN is compulsory prior to entering the doctorate, it is possible to complete graduate coursework through the available bridge programs. There are strict standards regarding grade scores. A history of exceptional academic achievement is a necessity for eligibility and several prerequisites must be met. Here is a list of what you will need when applying to a DNP program in Virginia:
- You must have current licensure to practice unencumbered as a registered Advanced Nurse Practitioner in Virginia.
- Explain your need for a doctoral education in a well written essay. The importance of successfully completing the program must be discussed within your career goals.
- Provide proof of certain immunizations with your health record. Know that the school will do a thorough background check on you.
- Evidence must be provided to account for all clinical hours accrued during graduate coursework and during your advanced nursing career.
- While the minimum accumulated Grade Point Average score considered is 3.0 on a scale of 4.0, 3.5 are preferred by many schools.
- All professional experiences, academic achievements and voluntary pursuits must be included in your Curriculum Vitae prior to submittal.
- You will be required to attend a personal interview at the school. Do not be late and avoid commitments that will require early departure.
- The school will require three letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to reference your academic prowess (such as doctors, employers, professional colleagues, supervisors and academic faculty).
- Core courses in nursing theory, research and statistics must have been completed at the graduate level within the last five years. C is the minimum grade allowed but it will help if this is higher.
- Your entire post-secondary education must be proven with official transcripts from each and every college or university attended.
- Scholarly papers are good examples of your creative written work, of which you will need to submit examples.
- Both the BSN and MSN degrees must be proven as completed and acquired through programs that are nationally accredited.