Featured DNP Programs (RN Required)
- Fairfield University offers two DNP programs that provide the skills to assess and apply scientific evidence to improve advanced practice. There are both part-time and full-time curricular plans for students to choose from. It will take either two or three years to complete the program full-time depending on the program chosen. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until August 1st of every year. Ensure your application is delivered before this deadline.
- Quinnipiac University offers a DNP program at their School of Nursing. Students enhance their leadership, organizational and management skills for their chosen specialty and learn how to implement evidence-based care to entire populations. Study plans are designed for convenience, allowing students to continue working during the program. Students typically complete the program in three or four years. June 1st is the final deadline for applications to be completed and received by the school.
- The DNP program available at the University of Connecticut enables midwives, nurse practitioners, clinical specialists, nurse anesthetists, and administrators to further their education and practice as leaders in their chosen career. There are flexible plans of study available. It will take two years to complete the degree requirements if studying full-time. Part-time students can expect to finish in three years. Please inquire about application details from the school.
- Yale University has a DNP program available at their School of Nursing. Established advanced practice nurses are able to further their education so that they can qualify as decision-makers in their field. The curriculum is delivered in a hybrid format consisting of online courses and classroom sessions. Designed for part-time study according to a schedule, students complete the program in three years. The final deadline for applications is March 1st.
DNP Nurse Checklist
Ensure your application highlights your academic and professional prowess when applying for these programs. With only a small number of students in these cohorts, the application process is competitive. You will need to have maintained a high score throughout your BSN and MSN coursework. There are bridge programs for those without their undergraduate or graduate degrees, but students will still need to complete these with stellar grades before being eligible for their doctoral degree. There are specific prerequisites for admission into these programs. This is what you will need when applying to a DNP program in Connecticut:
- Licensure to practice as a registered nurse in Connecticut is essential and must be unrestricted.
- The minimum overall grade point average on all completed graduate coursework must be 3.0 on a scale of 4.0. Your MSN must have been obtained from an accredited school.
- Completion of your BSN and MSN degrees must be proven with official transcripts from each school attended.
- At the graduate level you must have undertaken courses in statistics, research, and healthcare assessment with a minimum grade of C. This may not be longer than five years ago.
- You will need to write an essay about your personal goals. It is important that you clearly state how furthering your education at the doctoral level will be an advantage to society, while enabling your ambitions to be achieved.
- All specified diseases must be vaccinated against, and you will need to undergo a thorough medical and background check.
- Scholarly papers will be required, but creative written work is also accepted.
- All clinical hours completed as a graduate must be proven by the school where your Master’s was obtained.
- Employers, previous faculty authorities, or professional colleagues will need to provide three letters of recommendation.
- Create copies of any and all certifications that have been acquired over your Advanced Practice Nursing career. Submit these with your application.
- Ensure that all achievements and experiences in academic, professional, and voluntary capacities are clearly described in your latest resume.
- You will need to undergo an interview with the school. Make sure you are available to attend in a timely manner.