Advanced Practice Nurses Are Leaders in the Nursing Community
Earning a doctorate degree (DNP) is the top and best option for individuals who want to be a leader within the nursing industry. Graduates of these programs enjoy immensely rewarding benefits that include the highest salaries, various career choices, the ability to develop and change aspects of the nursing discipline, and the utmost respect of their colleagues and communities. Individuals holding a Doctor of Nursing Practice typically fill positions that are responsible for revising curricula and health care policies and are many times at the center of groundbreaking improvements to the quality of health care received by the public. Many of them are academic faculty or specialized nurses practicing in their field. Their leadership skills are sought after for a variety of positions and their expertise can help shape nursing policy and education for years to come.
Featured DNP Programs (RN Required)
Hawaii DNP Checklist
When sending in applications, be sure to adhere strictly to the requirements of the school. Each institution has a different application process and admissions policy in place. With only a limited number of students admitted into these programs each year, expect extremely high competition. If you do not have your graduate degree, then there are bridge programs available. However, completion of the MSN is non-negotiable and you will still need to achieve this with continued high grades. Several prerequisites are compulsory for you to be considered as a prospective student. This is what you will need when applying to a DNP program from Hawaii:
- You must be registered as an advanced nurse with a license to practice in Hawaii without any restrictions.
- Official transcripts must be provided from every school that you have attended.
- You will need an overall Grade Point Average score of at least 3.0 on a scale of 4.0.
- Your Master’s degree in nursing must have been acquired from an accredited program. You will need to provide proof of this which you should obtain from the school you graduated from.
- Evidence of all clinical experience gained while practicing as an advanced specialty nurse must be submitted.
- References will be required. You will need to have three total from any of your supervisors, working colleagues, previous academic advisors or physicians.
- You will need to undergo a thorough health check and be vaccinated against specified diseases. A background check will also be done.
- Graduate courses in healthcare assessment, research, and statistics must have been passed with a minimum grade of C. These should have been completed less than five years ago.
- The school must be granted a personal interview when requested.
- Submit your latest resume. Ensure that all experience and achievements in your professional, academic and voluntary careers are highlighted.
- A Personal Goal Statement will need to be written in essay form. Write about your career objectives and the reasons why doctoral study will aid your goals.
- Scholarly papers may be required or evidence of your written creative work.
Within the rapidly evolving health care industry, there are extremely lucrative opportunities available to those with the required qualifications. The skills and expertise of people that can utilize scientific research to make informed decisions is in great demand. The goal is to ensure access to health care is possible for every person in society, and that they receive the best quality care. It is highly advisable that you pursue doctoral education. It will enable you to take advantage of every opportunity offered.