Schools with MSN Programs in Utah

  • The University Of Utah College Of Nursing offers both online and campus-based classes for their MSN program. The three tracks they offer include nursing informatics, nursing education and care management. The nursing informatics program requires 40 credits to complete and takes 2 years (full-time) or 3 years (part time). The nursing education program requires between 36 and 40 credits. The approximate cost of tuition is just over $6,000 per year.
  • Utah Valley University’s MSN assists nurses in preparing for roles as nurse educators in academic settings and clinical nurse educators in healthcare settings. Applicants must hold a BSN and present their scores from the GRE and ETS tests, as well as hold or be eligible to hold an RN license in the state of Utah. The application also requires a non-refundable $45 fee.
  • Weber State University, located in Ogden, Utah, offers the administration or education tracks for those seeking their MSN degree. The program is a “hybrid” program, meaning that 80% of the coursework is done online and the remaining 20% is done through campus visits. The approximate cost of the MSN program is $6,800 per 2 semesters, including books and student fees. The courses will prepare nurses to take the Certified Nurse Educator Exam that is given through the National League for Nursing.
  • The MSN program at Westminster College provides the option for nurses to become a family nurse practitioner program, and enables nurses to work and become licensed and certified as an advanced practice registered nurse with prescriptive privileges as a family nurse practitioner. Accredited by the CCNE, Westminster College also provides a certificate in nursing anesthesia, requiring 64 credits, and the MSN in nursing education (15 credits).

Utah MSN Checklist

  • Must hold a BSN from an accredited institution.
  • Show eligibility of holding or a current RN license in Utah.
  • Apply for licensing as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Nurse Anesthetist through the Utah Board of Nursing ($120 application fee).

Utah Salary & Job Outlook

Those who have graduated MSN programs in Utah will be qualified to pursue a variety of different nursing jobs. The two most common include nurse practitioners and nurse anesthetists. Because of the variety of different jobs, Utah MSN holders’ salaries can vary greatly. The Bureau of Labor Statisticsreports that in May of 2012, the annual median salary for nurse anesthetists was $138,040 while the annual median salary of nurse practitioners was $83,880.

Other things that affect the salary of MSN holders is their location within the state of Utah (more positions and higher pay may be available in larger cities like Salt Lake City, Provo or Park City), their education and their experience.