Schools with LPN Programs in South Dakota
- Southeast Technical Institute offers a 1-year practical nursing program which costs less than $14,000. They also have a flexible program which takes place during evenings and is perfect for those who are trying to earn their diploma while working a regular job. Those who are accepted to the program must submit to criminal background checks as well as drug screenings and will need to be up to date on immunizations.
- Lake Area Technical College offers an 11-month practical nursing program which is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing as well as the South Dakota Board of Nursing. The program prepares students to provide basic nursing care to patients. It also lays down a great foundation for those who want to continue with their education and become a registered nurse in the future. Approximate costs for this program are $8,300.
- Those in or around the Yankton area can take advantage of the Mount Marty College nursing career program. This program offers LPN curriculum which will allow individuals to receive a practical nursing certificate and sit for the NCLEX-PN examination. The estimated costs of the program are $21,062 per year.
- Western Dakota Technical Institute offers an outstanding practical nursing program which “stresses the importance of clinical experience by providing 650-700 clinical hours of actual supervised clinical.” Students will receive a certificate of practical nursing at the end of the program, which will allow them to sit for the NCLEX-PN examination. The job placement rates for this school are excellent, and most end up working in places like Rapid City, the Black Hills and other areas in South Dakota.
- Sinte Gleska University offers an associate of applied science degree as well as a certificate in practical nursing. In order to obtain the A.A.S. degree in practical nursing, individuals will need to accumulate 72 credits over a period of 2 years. Students will gain both classroom education as well as clinical experience in a variety of healthcare settings with actual patients.
- Lake Area Technical College offers an e-degree program for practical nursing. For this program, individuals will take all practical nursing program courses online except for English, Math, Anatomy and Psychology. In addition to that, students will have to visit the Lake Area Tech college in order to complete clinical experiences.
South Dakota LPN Checklist
- Seek out and attend the LPN program of your choice in the state of South Dakota. Obtain your certificate of practical nursing.
- Apply for licensure with the South Dakota Board of Nursing, being sure to include the required $100 fee.
- Take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN).
- Maintain your licensure through the required renewal process.
South Dakota Salary & Job Outlook
The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that the annual median salary for licensed practical nurses in the state of South Dakota is $34,680. This is lower than the national average for this salary. However, there are many different things that will determine the actual salary of an LPN, including where they live within the state and their experience. Most practical nurses living in larger cities such as Sioux Falls will earn more than those who live in smaller areas.