Schools with LPN Programs in South Carolina
- Trident Technical College offers a 46-credit hour, 3-semester program that prepares students to work under the supervision of medical doctors, registered nurses or dentists. The program combines general education courses with clinical courses that provide the proper knowledge and skills to future practical nurses.
- Individuals who are in the West Columbia area can take advantage of Midlands Technical College, which offers up a three-semester, 44-credit hour practical nursing program. In order to progress from one semester to the next, students will need to maintain at least a “C” grade. Those who want to enter the program will need to take the Midlands placement test, and must have grades from the SAT exam or ACT exam as well. Prospective students will also need to submit to a criminal background check and a drug-screening.
- Horry-Georgetown Technical College in Conway also offers a great practical nursing program. This program consists of classroom education from qualified and experienced professors as well as clinical experience in a variety of healthcare settings within the community. The estimated cost for the program is $1661 per semester, not including books, additional fees or supplies.
- Tri-County Technical College provides a practical nursing program consisting of 48-credit hours, or three semesters. The program is designed to prepare students for entry-level practical nursing work, under the supervision of doctors, registered nurses or dentists. At the end of the program, individuals will receive a practical nursing diploma and will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN examination.
- The practical nursing program at York College is a 41-credit hour program. The program is a cooperative program between York Technical College and the University of South Carolina Lancaster. Approved by the Board of Nursing for South Carolina and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, the program prepares students for entry-level practical nursing work. York College also offers a flexible monthly payment plan for tuition.
- Piedmont Technical College in Greenwood is a limited acceptance practical nursing program, which accepts 32 applicants each fall and spring. A 32-credit hour program, the practical nursing program provides individuals with a diploma in a year’s time. While the classroom education takes place only during the day, clinical hours can take place at any time, including nights and weekends. Those who want to be part of the program must agree to criminal background testing as well as drug screenings.
- Aiken Technical College offers a 47-credit hour practical nursing program covering topics like Medical-Surgical Nursing, Medical Calculations, Anatomy and Physiology, College Algebra and Maternal-Infant-Child Nursing. There are several prerequisites required, and individuals who wish to be a part of the program must complete an application and agree to a criminal background check and a drug-screening.
- Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College’s practical nursing graduates in 2013 boast a 100% pass rate on the NCLEX-PN examination! This program is designed to be completed in 12 months, and the school offers a traditional schedule program as well as a flexible PN program that students can take in a variety of formats offered during the evenings and weekends. After completing the program, students will receive a diploma in practical nursing and will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN examination. Tuition costs are: $1860 for 12 credit hours for full time students and $150 per credit hour over 12 credit hours.
- Technical College of the Lowcountry’s practical nursing program is taught over 3 semesters and combines classroom learning with clinical and laboratory experiences. Through agreements with several healthcare facilities, students gain hands-on learning with actual patients. The NCLEX-PN pass rate for the last two years has been 91% and 100%. Graduating students are prepared to work in entry-level practical nursing positions under the supervision of registered nurses, doctors and dentists. Those who complete the program will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN exam.
- Denmark Technical College in Denmark offers a high quality practical nursing program designed to be completed in just 3 semesters, or one year. The program covers essential topics like maternity nursing, geriatric nursing, medical-surgical nursing, ethics, and more. The tuition per semester for in-district students is $1,173.
- Those who are interested in Northeastern Technical College will be happy to know the program lasts just two semesters and one summer term. Students who accumulate the required 48 credit hours will receive a practical nursing certificate which will allow them to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses. It also provides a basis for those who wish to continue on and become a registered nurse.
- The practical nursing at Williamsburg Technical College is a 3-semester, 48-hour program that combines traditional education with clinical nursing courses all designed to train students to become competent practical nurses. Those who complete the program will be eligible to take the practical nursing exam (NCLEX-PN) and become licensed practical nurses in the state of South Carolina.
South Carolina LPN Checklist
- Seek out an accredited and board-approved LPN program and complete it, receiving your diploma or certificate.
- Apply for licensure through the South Carolina Nursing Board and be sure to include the $75 application fee.
- Sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses.
- Maintain your license by renewing every 2 years; there is a $50 renewal fee.
South Carolina Salary & Job Outlook
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, those who work as LPNs in the state of South Carolina earn an annual median salary of $38,680. This is only slightly lower than the national average for this career. Many things will determine the actual salary a licensed practical nurse in South Carolina makes, from their experience (more experienced LPNs can apply for senior management positions) to their location within the state.