MSN Programs in South Carolina
Are you a nurse who wants to further your career and earn more money? There are many MSN programs in South Carolina that will enable you to do just that. MSN programs assist RNs who want to become specialized nurses or those who want to go into nursing education or administration. Most of these programs last between 2 and 6 years, and have the option of full-time and part-time study.
Schools with MSN Programs in South Carolina
- Charleston Southern University campus is based in Charleston, but the MSN is available online as well. Upon completion of the program, students will be prepared to teach at faculty level in nursing programs or accept other types of educator positions in healthcare settings and hospitals. The MSN program at Charleston Southern University is approved by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
- Clemson University offers up an excellent MSN program, with four different specialization tracks. The courses are offered at Clemson’s satellite office, the University Center of Greenville. The programs are all between 38 and 49 credits to complete, and tuition is approximately $4696 per semester.
- The Medical University of South Carolina’s MSN program is designed for students who want to take on the role of primary care nurse practitioner in the adult, family or pediatric areas. The program is offered online, with a few required campus visits throughout the course. Out of state students are welcome to attend the program, but the tuition is higher for those individuals. Tuition costs are about $8,000 per semester, not including fees.
- The MSN program at the University of South Carolina offers up two specialty areas for nurses: clinical and health. These programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. The program must be completed within 6 years, and individuals will need to maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average. Tuition costs are approximately $25,000 per year.
South Carolina MSN Checklist
- You must currently hold a BSN in the state of South Carolina.
- You must have or be eligible to have an RN license in South Carolina.
- Obtain scores for the GRE and MAT tests.
- Apply for licensure with the South Carolina Board of Nursing and include any applicable fees.
- Take and pass the NCLEX examination.
MSN holders in South Carolina can represent a number of different positions: nurse midwife, gerontological nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist, family nurse practitioner, educator, etc. Therefore, it’s difficult to determine the exact salary data. However, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the annual median salary for nurse practitioners in the state of South Carolina was $87,780. Another MSN occupation, nurse anesthetists, earned an annual median salary of $157,060. Salary will be affected by an individual’s location in the state of South Carolina as well as their experience and specific position.
More information on MSN programs in South Carolina can be found here: