Finding a PhD Nursing Program in Louisiana
Changes are continually taking place in the nursing industry. Development is essential in order to constantly be improving the quality of treatment that patients receive. Health care is a basic right that everyone in society is entitled to and it is a challenge to ensure they have access to it. This is why scientific research is so important; as there is a need to ensure that health policies are revised, diseases diagnosed correctly, treatments remain effective, academic curriculums updated, health systems developed, population dynamics analyzed and there are many more disciplines being studied. Those with an interest in scholarly pursuits are advised to obtain their doctorate qualifications. The research has been done on your behalf and these are the schools that offer PhD programs in Louisiana.
Schools with PhD Nursing Programs in Louisiana
- Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans offers students the chance to obtain their Doctor of Nursing Science degree. Graduates contribute to the science of nursing through research across groups within a variety of nursing specialties. Students are able to opt for full-time or part-time study plans and although classes are held on campus regularly, distance learning methods are predominantly used. It will take approximately five years for full-time students to complete the program. Part-time scholars will take longer. There is a maximum timeframe of eight years for students to graduate. In order to find out what the latest application deadlines are, please contact the school personally.
- A CCNE accredited PhD program is available at Southern University and Agricultural and Mechanical College. While this is a program that is attended onsite, there are full-time and part-time options available for students to choose from. This program should be completed in four years. To enquire about their latest application deadline dates, please contact the school directly.
Louisiana PhD Nurse Checklist
You will need to have several prerequisites completed before you will be eligible for admission into these programs. There is a limit on available space and students compete for a place. While bridge programs are on offer, it is imperative that graduate education has been completed if you are to be considered. The grades obtained throughout your academic history will be reviewed and maintenance of high scores will work to your advantage. We advise becoming familiar with the application procedure of each school that you are applying to. It is essential that you adhere to their strict requirements and are familiar with their admissions policies. This is what you will need when applying to a PhD program in Louisiana:
- Your creative written work or scholarly papers will need to be included in your application.
- Three letters of reference must be requested and submitted. Employers, academic supervisors, professional colleagues and physicians are reliable sources.
- A background check will be performed and you must provide the results of a full medical checkup. Evidence of certain vaccinations may be necessary.
- Detail your professional goals in a written essay. It is essential that you clearly convey your reasons for pursuing the terminal degree. Explain how it is necessary to ensure that you achieve your career objectives.
- Completion of the baccalaureate and graduate degrees is not negotiable. Only programs with reputable accreditation may have provided you with these degrees.
- Courses in research, nursing theory and statistics must have been completed not more than five years ago.
- While some schools are willing to consider applicants with an overall Grade Point Average score of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0, the majority prefer this to be no less than 3.5.
- When the school requests a formal interview, grant it and clear your schedule so that you have plenty of time to attend.
- Each school previously attended must deliver official transcripts for you.
- Licensure to practice as a registered Advanced Nurse Practitioner in Louisiana must be current and not restrict you in any way.
- Evidence must be provided of all the clinical hours you have experienced as an Advanced Practice Nurse and a graduate student.
- Update your Curriculum Vitae to include all past and present academic achievements. Detail all professional experiences and any voluntary work you may have done.
This is a terminal degree that offers the highest qualifications that can be obtained. Graduates of these programs are sought-after for their extensive expertise. Their skills guarantee employment and their knowledge is very well paid for. This is because they are responsible for the research that improves the quality of health care available, as well as the access to treatment that communities have. Their commitment to promoting and developing the nursing industry is hugely rewarded.