Finding a PhD Nursing Program in Hawaii
Advanced nurses with scholarly and scientific interests are encouraged to pursue their education at the highest level. The PhD degree teaches students how to research and discover innovative ways to improve the health care industry. From experimenting with diseases to developing drugs to treat them; there are many fields that require academic research. The nursing industry is expanding in an effort to provide health care to the masses, and there is a desperate need for leaders that are qualified to promote this development. The research has been done for you; there are various schools throughout the United States that have online doctorate degrees available, but there is one school that offers a PhD program in Hawaii.
School with a PhD Nursing Program in Hawaii
Hawaii PhD Nurse Checklist
This is a terminal degree and there is strong competition among applicants. Cohorts consist of a few selected students and schools base their final decisions on several factors. Your academic record is very important and the maintenance of high grades throughout post-secondary study is essential. The MSN degree should have already been obtained but there are bridge programs for those without it; which will guarantee a place for the doctorate provided your grades are acceptable. There are certain prerequisites that must be met and it is advisable to contact the schools that interest you personally, to ensure your understanding of their admissions process and application policies. These are the requirements that you will need when applying to PhD programs in Hawaii:
- You must have a minimum overall Grade Point Average of 3.5 on a scale of 4.0. Some schools are stricter in this requirement than others and a score of no less than 3.0 may be acceptable.
- Highlight all experiences and successes in your latest Curriculum Vita. Ensure that your academic, voluntary and professional histories are described.
- The BSN and MSN degrees must have been completed in accredited programs. All colleges and universities attended must deliver official transcripts.
- You must be registered as an advanced nurse and have a license to practice unrestricted in Hawaii.
- Courses in nursing theory, statistics and research must have been undertaken as a graduate within the last five years.
- In a written essay, explain your motives for pursuing doctoral study. Describe your career goals and discuss how completing the program will benefit communities once your objectives have been accomplished.
- The school will request examples of your creative written work or scholarly papers.
- A formal personal interview will be requested and you must make sure that you attend with time to spare.
- Provide three letters of reference to the school. These must be from relevant authorities such as employers, academic tutors or professional colleagues.
- The school will do a background check and you will need to undergo a full health check. Evidence of certain vaccinations may be necessary.
- Proof of the number of clinical hours completed as a graduate student may be requested.
Nursing students that complete their Doctorate in Philosophy are guaranteed employment. Their skills and expertise are in constant demand and they are paid extremely well for their scientific experience. These are the people that dedicate their time to discovering new ways of improving the quality of health care; be it in pharmaceuticals, specific disease management and prevention, health policies, systems development, population health or an enormous variety of other specialties.