Finding a PhD Nursing Program in Connecticut
The nursing industry is experiencing massive shortages in its ability to provide health care to everyone in society. As a result, it is continually expanding and evolving to meet these needs. PhD graduates are responsible for this, as it is the results of their scientific research and academic prowess that is relied on for this development. From researching specific diseases and how to prevent, treat and diagnose them; to pharmacological practices, aging, health care policies, population dynamics, information technology and even ways to improve the delivery of advanced patient care; doctors of philosophy play pivotal roles of leadership in nursing. After having done the research for you, we have found all the schools offering PhD programs in Connecticut.
Schools with PhD Nursing Programs in Connecticut
- A PhD program is available at the University of Connecticut and their School of Nursing. Students develop skills for researching nursing science that inspires new health care initiatives. There are options to study at a full-time pace, as well as part-time. This is a three year program that will take four years to complete if studying part-time. Please obtain information about their latest deadline dates by contacting the school directly.
- The PhD program offered by the School of Nursing at Yale University focuses on clinical, policy and healthcare research. There are a wide variety of fields that are studied, making graduates leaders in the industry. Online courses are necessary, but the majority of courses are delivered in a traditional classroom setting. This is a five year program that is only available on a fixed part-time schedule. January 2nd is the final deadline for applications every year.
Connecticut PhD Nurse Checklist
You will need evidence of achieving specific grades throughout your baccalaureate and master’s degrees. These programs are competitive and only a few students are accepted into the limited space. While completion of the Master’s degree is non-negotiable, it is possible to enter these programs at a lower level. This will enable you to complete the necessary prerequisites and continue into doctoral study. Previous and current clinical experience will also work to your advantage. These are the requirements for candidates applying to PhD programs in Connecticut:
- You will be required to be vaccinated against certain diseases. These must remain effective during the course of the program and a full health check is necessary. The school will perform a thorough background check during the application process.
- It is essential that you own a license to practice in Connecticut as a registered nurse without any restrictions.
- A C grade (or better) must have been achieved on graduate courses in research, nursing theory and statistics within the last five years.
- While some schools will desire a higher overall grade point average score, the minimum acceptable is 3.0 on a scale of 4.0.
- Your creative written work will be requested. The majority of schools will be satisfied with scholarly papers.
- Three recommendation letters from employers, nursing peers or academic faculty.
- Completion of all BSN and MSN degree requirements must be proven by the school where they were studied.
- An accredited institution must have been the source of your Master’s degree.
- All past and present academic and professional achievements and experiences must be detailed in your resume.
- Official transcripts will be required from all schools attended after high school. They will serve as proof that graduate studies were undertaken in their entirety.
- You will need to ensure availability for a formal interview at the school.
- Write a short but detailed essay with your career ambitions as the subject. Explain your need to complete your doctorate and how it will ensure your objectives are met.
Doctoral education is highly advisable. If your interests lie in scholarly research and scientific academics, as opposed to clinical practice, then you are a perfect candidate for the PhD. Among the most respected members of society because of their efforts to continually improve the health care industry through evidence-based science; graduates enjoy the advantages of having sought after expertise. Employment is guaranteed and salaries are extremely high.