Finding a PhD Nursing Program in Arizona
The health care industry is continually expanding and improving according to the scientific discoveries of scholarly research. There is a great need for qualified individuals to pursue this study. The Doctor of Philosophy in nursing degree focuses on training nurses to become scientists. These are the people that are finding new methods for diagnosing and treating diseases, and even preventing them altogether. There are vast numbers of research fields to specialize in; including pharmaceuticals, neonatal care, geriatric care, chronic illness, population dynamics, technology development and many, many more. The research has been done for you and there are online degrees offered by many accredited schools in the country. These are the two schools that have PhD programs available in Arizona.
Schools with PhD Nursing Programs in Arizona
- Arizona State University has a PhD program on offer through their College of Nursing and Health Innovation. Graduates become leaders in education, research and analyzing health care policy. Students can choose to either attend classes on the campus or study for their degree online. A total of fifty four semester credit hours are required to complete this degree. This is a four year program. December 15th is the final date for application submissions. Classes begin in the Fall.
- The College of Nursing at the University of Arizona has an online PhD program available for those wanting to focus on nursing research in clinical, scientific or academic environments. Flexible study plans include options for part-time and full-time students, and attendance is occasionally required on the campus. This is a four year program for full-time students. Those studying part-time will complete it in five years. The final deadline date for submission of completed applications is December 15th of every year.
Arizona PhD Nurse Checklist
Acceptance into these programs is highly competitive and a rigorous application process is standard. Schools only admit a small group of students each year and they focus on selecting the most suitable of them. Standard admissions policy reviews overall academic achievement and a history of involved clinical experience. Your undergraduate and graduate degrees must have been completed with a high grade maintained throughout. Bridge programs are available to those without these degrees but continuing at the doctorate level is dependent on steady grades. This is a list of the prerequisites that you will need to have when applying to a PhD program in Arizona:
- A registered nurse license is required to practice in Arizona. It must be free of any restrictions.
- A full medical and background check will occur and certain diseases must be vaccinated against.
- On a scale of 4.0, your overall grade point average must be at least 3.0 for all graduate coursework completed. Some schools will insist this be a minimum of 3.5.
- Graduate courses in nursing theory, statistics and research will need to have been completed in the last five years. The minimum grade achieved must be C, but preferably higher.
- Figures of professional integrity and authority will need to write letters of reference for you. Three are required and professional peers, employers and previous academic tutors are acceptable sources.
- Scholarly papers or samples of your creative writing will be requested.
- Your Master’s degree must have been obtained at a school or university that provides accredited graduate programs.
- All BSN and MSN degree requirements must have been completed. This must be proven with official transcripts from each school attended.
- The clinical hours that you finished during graduate studies must be proven by the school where you obtained your degree.
- Submit your resume once it has been updated with all professional and academic experiences. Mention all accomplishments and voluntary work.
- Your career aspirations will be assessed. Write an essay detailing what they are and explain how a doctoral education will enable your professional goals to benefit both you and your community.
- A formal interview will need to be attended at the school. Make sure that your schedule is free and that time is not a problem for you.
By completing a doctoral education, you will obtain expertise that ensures gainful employment at the highest level; regardless of your choice of specialty. Your salary will be the best in the nursing industry and your research will be at the core of ensuring all people have access to quality health care. With such a shortage of basic medical access in the United States, there is no limit to the input that you can be responsible for.