Is a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Right for You?
With the nursing industry evolving and expanding in order to provide quality healthcare to all populations, an abundance of fantastic opportunities have become available to nurses with ambition. The right qualifications enable them to practice the most advanced patient care in a variety of specializations, as well as lead the revolution by integrating scientific evidence into practice. Many of them become educators, informatics specialists, policy revisers or even start their own businesses. The doctoral degree in nursing practice creates leaders with sought after expertise. Prepared for careers dedicated to the improvement of all healthcare outcomes, graduates are in extreme demand within the industry. We have done all the necessary research for you and there are currently two schools offering DNP programs in Utah.
Featured DNP Programs (RN Required)
- The DNP program available at Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions is accredited by CCNE. The curriculum is delivered both traditionally onsite and online. Advanced Practice Nurses are prepared for leadership roles that require decision making for evidence-based changes and health systems overhaul. Students typically complete the program in a year and half, but there is a four year deadline for the degree requirements to be met. Please contact the school to find out about the latest application deadline dates which change yearly with each admission cycle.
- The College of Nursing at the University of Utah offers a DNP program that is taught in an executive onsite format, as well as an online option. Students are developed for careers involving complex healthcare outcomes and scientific growth within advanced nursing practice. Study schedules include both part-time and full-time options. It will take just over a year for full-time students to graduate from the program. If opting for the part-time plan, then two years will be required. All application materials must be completed and submitted before January 15th of each year.
Utah DNP Checklist
Baccalaureates are able to enter the doctorate via a bridge program, but they must still complete graduate coursework if they are to be eligible for consideration. A history of outstanding academic scores is imperative and must be proven. Due to the space shortage, competition is rife among applicants. Schools are only able to admit a few students each year and they choose those with the most promise. This is why it is important that you are aware of the application procedures and admissions policy of each school that you apply to. Do not be late with your applications and highlight your desire for doctoral education. This is a list of what you will need when applying to a DNP program in Utah:
- Doctors, employers, supervisors, professional peers, academic faculty; these are good sources to use for the three letters of reference that will be required.
- Official transcripts must be requested from all post-secondary academic institutions ever attended.
- The accumulated clinical hours from graduate coursework and advanced nursing practice must be proven.
- A registered Advanced Nurse Practitioner license is compulsory and must allow unhindered practice throughout Utah.
- Voluntary, academic and professional experiences must be updated and included in your final resume.
- Graduate core courses in research, nursing theory and statistics must be completed with a final grade of C, or better. They may not be older than five years.
- Your reasons for requiring a doctoral education must clearly be explained in a well written essay. Describe your professional goals and state how the program is a critical step for you to achieve them.
- Timely attendance at a personal interview with the school is essential. Grant the forthcoming request and reschedule other commitments that may interfere with your availability.
- Only nationally accredited BSN and MSN degrees are acceptable. This must be proven and they should be completed in their entirety.
- While some schools will consider applicants with an accumulated Grade Point Average score of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0, others will require it to be at least 3.5.
- Current vaccinations against certain diseases must be proven with a record of your latest health checkup. The school will investigate your criminal history.
- Scholarly papers or other examples of creative written work must be included in your application packet.
Among the highest paid members of the nursing industry, DNP graduates are guaranteed employment. Their expertise is in such great demand that a variety of exhilarating job offers require choosing from. Responsible for the development and adaptation of healthcare delivery and quality nursing services, millions of people are immensely grateful for their efforts. Doctorates are highly respected nationwide for the impact made on the health of populations. To become a member of such importance, doctoral qualifications are compulsory.