Is a DNP Program Right for You?
People need health care and they are living longer as members of an exploding population. This presents a challenge in ensuring everyone has access to medical care. Clinical leaders are desperately needed; to educate others, implement health care systems, revise medical policies, administer advanced patient care and ensure the nursing industry is able to cope with the number of people requiring their services. This is why it is advised that you acquire your doctoral degree. It will give you the skills, knowledge and authority to fulfill an important leadership role. We have done a great deal of research for you and these are the schools that have a DNP program available in Colorado.
Featured DNP Programs (RN Required)
- The DNP program at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs is available completely online and offered through their Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences. Students learn how to use the latest discoveries in nursing science to improve advanced nursing practice. This is a CCNE accredited degree that is available part-time. A minimum of thirty five semester credits need to be obtained in order to acquire this degree. Students generally complete the program in approximately two years, but there is a seven year limit in which to achieve this. Classes begin in the Fall of every year. Applications close on March 1st.
- The College of Nursing at the University of Colorado in Denver has a DNP program available that is accredited by CCNE. The focus of this doctorate lies in advanced clinical practice with a strong emphasis on education, and there are several specialties built upon. While many courses are offered online, some do require classroom attendance. The program consists of completing forty one semester credits. This is usually achieved in two to three years. The deadline for admission into the Fall term is February 15th. The deadline for Spring admissions is July 1st.
- The DNP program offered by the University of Northern Colorado will prepare students for the highest level of advanced nursing practice, using scientific knowledge and qualified expertise. Intensive onsite classes are required, but the majority of coursework is completed online. It will take two years to complete this degree if studying full-time. Those opting for part-time study will take longer to obtain their degree. Ensure that your applications are submitted in their entirety by no later than February 1st.
Colorado DNP Checklist
In order to qualify for admission into these programs, you will need to possess certain prerequisites. Schools are selective and competition is immense. You will need to have already specialized in an advanced concentration at the graduate level. If you have not yet completed your Master’s or Bachelor’s degrees, then you should apply to the offered bridge programs. These will enable you to obtain the necessary qualifications for doctoral study and guarantee a place in the program once they have been completed. This is a list of what you will need when applying to a DNP program in Colorado:
- You will need to submit proof of the number of clinical hours undertaken during your graduate studies.
- Scholarly papers will need to be submitted, or evidence of creative written work.
- On a scale of 4.0, 3.0 is the minimum overall grade point average acceptable. This relates to all graduate work completed while attending an accredited university or school.
- All vaccinations must be currently effective and a thorough medical check is necessary. A background check will be done.
- An essay will be required on the subject of your personal goals. Explain what they are and how successful completion of your doctorate will achieve them. Describe how you will be able to offer advantages to society.
- A score no less than C must have been acquired in the last five years on statistics, research and healthcare assessment courses.
- In order to prove completion of your baccalaureate and graduate degrees, each institution ever attended should provide you with official transcripts to submit.
- Include your resume in your application. Highlight all accomplishments in academics, as well as clinical and voluntary experiences.
- You must be allowed to practice unencumbered as a registered nurse in Colorado. A copy of your license will be needed.
- Certifications will have been acquired during your career as an Advanced Practice Nurse. Make copies of each of them and send them with your application.
- Ensure that you are available to attend an interview when the school requires it. Clear your schedule so that you are not rushed in any way.
- You will need three reference letters attesting to your ability to complete doctoral study successfully. These may only be from authoritative individuals such as employers, academic tutors or professional peers.
Besides earning the highest possible salary, graduating from a doctoral program will give you the expertise to truly make a difference; whether delivering advanced patient care or revolutionizing the nursing industry. There is a one hundred percent employment rate and you can choose the position you most desire. Regardless of the career path that you follow, your qualifications will guarantee success.